Discover the legendary estate’s history and its twenty five thousand artifacts.
Hearst Castle’s history begins in 1865, when George Hearst purchased 40,000 acres of ranchland. After his mother’s death in 1919, William Randolph Hearst inherited thousands of acres around San Simeon, and over time, he purchased more. The spread eventually encompassed about 250,000 acres. With architect Julia Morgan, Hearst conceived a retreat he called La Cuesta Encantada—Spanish for “Enchanted Hill.” By 1947, when Hearst had to leave the remote location because of his fragile health, the estate was still unfinished even though it comprised 165 rooms and 123 acres of gardens, terraces, pools and walkways—all built to Hearst’s specifications and showcasing a legendary art collection.
- The Estate boasts more than 75,000 square feet of indoor space
- There are 58 bedrooms and 60 bathrooms on the Estate
- There are more than 40 fireplaces
- There are a total of 46 rooms in the Guest Houses including lobbies.
- There are several additional rooms in Casa Grande including the Refectory, the Billiard Room, the Theater, Library, Gothic Study, Beauty Salon, Butler’s Pantry, Kitchen, Staff Dining Room for a total of 115 rooms in Casa Grande.
- The Indoor Roman Pool holds 205,000 gallons of water
Your day trippin’ details:
9:45* Paso Robles/Templeton/Atascadero City Limits
10:30 San Simeon
11:00 Hearst Castle Grand Rooms Tour
12:45 Depart the Castle
1:30 Lunch & Tasting at Winery to be selected
3:00 Final tasting at your choice of West side All-Inclusive winery
4:00 Begin return for accommodations
*10:15 if no Cambria/San Simeon pickups required